Friday, May 22, 2015

Granny's Yorkshire Puddings

One family recipe that my paternal Granny always used to make was homemade Yorkshire puddings. Her husband, from the age of twenty-four,  my grandpa was born and raised in Yorkshire, England. So my German Granny learned how to cook and bake traditional English recipes. She had the help of her beloved mother-in-law and sister-in-law.
 
Here's a picture of my Granny and her brother in Germany as a little girl:
Yorkshire puddings are traditionally served with a Sunday pot roast with gravy.
 
Granny's Yorkshire Puddings
 
2 cups of self raising flour
a pinch of salt and pepper
4 eggs
1 1/2 Cups of milk
 
***
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
 
In the mixer add the eggs and milk. When fully whisked, slowly add the sifted flour and the pinch of salt and pepper. Leave aside for 30 minutes.
 
Pour some olive oil into a 12 count muffin pan, about a teaspoon in each, put the oiled pan into the oven until you start to hear crackling.
 
Pour the batter into the heated pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until fluffy and golden brown.
 
Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
 
***
 
This was my first time making the Yorkshire Puddings. I need to work on the 'homemade' look, and on perfecting the well in the center. But they came out light, and fluffy and tasted just as I remembered.
 


I added a few to my husband's lunch today and he was thrilled. It's the little things in life, isn't it?

Linked up to:
Grace at home #156
Share your cup Thursday #151
Before and after #48



2 comments:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I have never tasted Yorkshire pudding. Can't wait to try it! I think yours look super yummy! Love the photo of your granny with her brother. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Nadia Marie said...

I think they look perfect and not burnt like so many of the Yorkshire puddings I've had before in the UK. Don't know why, but they seem to always be left too long in the oven. I like the way yours look! Brava!

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...