Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Ancestors Recipes For Love

We had an unseasonably warm weekend here in the Carolinas. I started writing my new book - Ancestors Recipes For Love. The book is handwritten, like my favorite author Susan Branch's books, and is dedicated to my charming Husband.  
 
Intertwined, is four generations of love stories told in my family and recipes that I would like to preserve for our children, and children’s children.
 
My Nana and Granddad’s Wedding

 
My Nana once told me the story of being a little girl who liked the Church’s floral decorations at Christmastime, and that’s why she chose a winter wedding.
 
They were married on December 12th, 1954 in England. They waited until the Spring for their honeymoon. On their honeymoon they travelled around Europe in a motorcycle and side car. I always loved that story, of the adventurous two.
 
 
In the early 1960's they moved to South Africa, where my Granddad had an importantly skilled job, as a detonator for the gold mines. After two decades, they returned to England in the early 1980's.
 
My Granddad passed away in March of 2009, and my Nana five short months later, in August of 2009.

 
 
~ Four Generations of Anniversaries (on my side) ~
 
Great Grandpa and Great Grandma Thawley (Nana’s parents)
December 27th, 1930
Great Granddad and Great Grandma Bird (Grandad’s parents)
February 17th, 1934
Nanna and Grandad Bird December 12th, 1954
Granny and Grandpa Smith December 12th, 1962
Mom and Dad ~ August 10th 1985
Aunt and Uncle Bird (mom's brother) ~ September, 1985 (30th anniversary)
Aunt and Uncle Berry (dad's sister) ~ January 10th, 1987 (29th anniversary)
Us ~ July 31st, 2013 (2nd anniversary)
 

 

~ Remember ~
Love is patient, love is kind, it isn’t jealous, it doesn’t brag, it isn’t arrogant, it isn’t rude, it doesn’t seek its own advantage, it isn’t irritable, it doesn’t keep a record of complaints, it isn’t happy with injustice, but it is happy with the truth. Love puts up with all things, trusts in all things, hopes for all things, endures all things. Love never fails. As for prophecies, they will be brought to an end. As for tongues, they will stop. As for knowledge, it will be brought to an end.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
We have some great examples of love before us, and for that, I'm eternally grateful.

 
Just so I remember:
 
On Friday night we went for dinner at Sonny's at The Arboretum. We had redneck rolls, and barbeque chicken salad. Afterwards, we strolled through the isles at Barnes and Noble. 
 
 
On Saturday, we stayed home, and I spent some time gathering four generations of wedding photos, marriage certificates, and anniversary dates for my book. That evening we went for dinner at The Terrace, located in the prestigious Piedmont Center, and for dessert at Ben and Jerry's.
 
On Sunday we stayed home to watch the Carolina Panthers play the Seattle Seahawks. The Carolina Panthers won 31-24. We grilled hot dogs and served with sautéed onions, coleslaw, and chips. While the game was on, I loaded all our ancestor, and family pictures onto my new hard drive. Did any of you watch the game?
 
This week my husband is being moved from his cubicle to an office as he has a lot of face-to-face meetings. He works as a UX/UI designer for insp, the wholesome family channel and Inspiration Ministries.
 
Have a blessed week,
Kiki Nakita
You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Bloglovin'
 

1 comment:

Cory Wright said...

So proud of you for starting your book. So many amazing stories to be told. Hopefully, our children and grandchildren will look back on our adventures and want to tell our story.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...