Friday, February 12, 2016

Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday

Growing up, Shrove Tuesday was pancake day, and everyone in England would flip a few crepe style pancakes and serve with berries and preserves.

Charlotte's Lively Kitchen Pancakes

Here it's known as Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras and is celebrated mostly in the South. So in celebration, we went to one of our favorite local restaurants, Cajun Yard Dog. It is owned by a Louisiana couple who serve up the best jambalaya, shrimp and grits and bread pudding.



On Ash Wednesday, we followed tradition and attended an evening service. We usually attend Matthews United Methodist Church, but decided to attend the nearby service at Myers Park United Methodist Church.


The year was 1925, when Myers Park Methodist Episcopal Church (as it was originally named) was formed. Its architectural style reminds me of the hundreds of years old churches in England, where the village parishes are Anglican(UK) Episcopal(US) representing the Church of England.

The Methodist church has a lot of roots in Anglicanism and was founded by the Church of England minister John Wesley in 1744, a hundred and eighty-one years before this church was built, yet many of it's traditions remain today.


Before the service we had a coffee date at Harris Teeter's.  



Here's the Ash Wednesday service, see if you can spot us!


Afterwards, we went for coffee and dessert at Amelie's.


What denomination are you from, and do you observe Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday and the forty days of Lent?

Kiki Nakita
You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Bloglovin'

Linked up to:
Thoughts of home #1

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Kiki, thank you for this beautiful post. Love having you at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Linky parties like this are so great because they help us find great blogs like yours. :)

Stacey

Laura said...

Thank you so much for sharing your observance of Lent and for joining our Thoughts of Home on Thursday celebration.

I am Episcopalian, and we celebrate Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, and the 40 days of lent.

This is a special time in our lives, isn't it?

Laura
White Spray Paint blog

Decor To Adore said...

You had a GRAND day! We observe all in our house. I will be touching on aspects of Lent on my Sunday posts at the end of February and early March.

Nadia Marie said...

Very lovely post with lovely photos! I didn't know that the Methodist Church had its origins in the Anglican Church or that it had been started by Wesley. I do not belong to any denomination, nor do I attend church any longer but I was brought up in the Evangelical Free Church tradition of which my grandfather was a pastor in Venezuela. We never observed Lent or Ash Wednesday growing up and Shrove Tuesday was unknown to me until I came to live here in the UK. I always knew it as Mardi Gras in the US and since I grew up in the North it was never really much of a big deal to us. Still, I like learning about different customs and traditions and had pancakes on pancake day here in Bridport though I did not go to the church on Wednesday as my in-laws did.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...