Thursday, February 2, 2017

German Food Like My Granny Used To Make

Good afternoon my dears,


This past weekend, we revisited a local German Restaurant called Waldhorn. We ordered off their appetizer menu, and shared the platters. The first appetizer was an array of sausages; hotdog, Polish, and bratwurst served with sauerkraut.



The second appetizer was German potato pancakes served with applesauce. My paternal Granny used to make homemade German potato pancakes, and she taught my mum, who used to make them when I was growing up.


So, I looked for a recipe on Pinterest, and found this old newspaper clipping from Thursday, March 6th, 1958. The pin added this note:

"No need to soak the potatoes. Grate with onion, stir, top with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of flour and let them sit 1-2 hours. Stir and then fry (be sure the oil is really hot)."

I'll have to try it sometime!



For dessert, we shared a slice of Black Forest Cake. Back in 2001, when I was fifteen, I went on my first trip to Germany, and one of the places we visited was the Black Forest.

While there, we stopped at this cabin-style restaurant where they served generous helpings of Black Forest cake, and gateau. During dessert, I  shared stories about my trip with my Hubby, hoping someday we'll go together.




Before I go, I wanted to share some blooms from our garden. Our holly bushes have red berries for the first time since we moved here, although, I don't know what we've done differently.


And lastly, our daffodils have also started to bloom in our forest. They're one of my favorite flowers, all sunshiny, and a promise that Spring is on its way.




Happy February,

~ Kiki Nakita ~


You can follow me on Instagram, Pinterest or Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...