Friday, July 25, 2014

Society During The Victorian Era In England

Along with my family history research of my 3rd great grandparents, and an upcoming story of my 4th great grandparents I've been learning more about the time in which the lived. I might go back and find the stories of their predecessors one-day, but for now I've been studying the Victoria era onwards to the present day.
 
Grab a cup of tea, and take a peek. I'll share the highlights at the end of this post incase you don't get a chance to watch the whole documentary.
 

 
So, these are my ancestors that lived in the Victorian era.
 
William and Emma Coombes, nee Evans Story can be read here.
 
They were married for over 22 years before William died a premature death as a barge master. They had 10 children, 2 pre-deceased them.
 
and the
 
James and Emma Baker, nee Brookes Story can be read here.
 
They had 13 children, 4 pre-deceased them. They both died in 1914 after 44 years marriage.
 
It takes me about a day to gather everything from birth, marriage, census and death records for each couple. There was a big roadblock to Priscilla's parents (the Coombes) because the father put on her marriage certificate was her stepdad. I'll do a story on Priscilla and her beloved John sometime, and his fascinating grandparents (my 4th great grandparents) John and Esther sometime.
 
--------------------------------------------
 
So, back to the video. It was a BBC production and I found it eye opening. Here's some things that it shared:
 
- "Victorian artists liked cozy domestic scenes, a sort of comfort food for the soul."
- Paintings dispensed moral medicine on poverty, drinking, illicit sex.
- Women were encouraged to be 'angels in the homes' and would seek advice from Mrs. Beeton's Household Manual
- Keeping up appearances was what it was all about.
- Photographers used neck clamps to hold the subject's head while they went through the process of photographing them.
- In London during 1857 there was one prostitute for every twenty-five men.
- Sexually transmitted diseases were rife.
- An epidemic of illnesses killed thousands of children every year.
- In the poorest homes, one child in five died before their fifth birthday.
- It talks about Amelia Dyer, one of the most prolific baby farm murderers in London.


No comments:

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...