Saturday, January 25, 2014

Poachers and Trophy Killing Could Make Rhino's Extinct In South Africa

 
If you've ever read my childhood story, you'll know I was born and spent the first eight years of my life in South Africa. The picture above is of my mom and I looking at ostriches out of the car window, and yes, I was a Minnie Mouse fan. I grew up around nature and the wildlife; rhino's, zebra's, ostriches, giraffes, cheetah, lions etc. and so when I read this story, it broke my heart.
 
Tough job: An avowed lover of Africa, Prince William will next month attend a conference at Downing Street on the illegal wildlife trade on behalf of a body called United For Wildlife
 
The mighty Prince William, has highlighted an issue which could lead to the extinction of South Africa's rhino's. Many are being killed by poachers with bullets from automatic weapons and their horns are being cut from their skulls. Frequently, poacher's also use darts to sedate the rhino then cut off the animal’s horn. When the sedation wears off the beasts are left in agony, wandering off into the bush until they bleed to death.
 
This is horrendous!
 
They then smuggle the horn through porous borders, or grind it down and ship it to the Far East mixed with exports of powdered drinks. At the other end, the drink powder dissolves in water, leaving the rhino horn to be harvested. Rewards are so huge (bigger than drug money) that a rotten minority of park official are involved in killing the animals they are meant to protect.
 
Something else has been bothering me; 'trophy killings' done by tourists, that kill wildlife, to take a quick picture, then flee. I hope for our children, and grand children's generations that the wildlife will continue to flourish,
 
"Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel"

-Psalm 12:10

No comments:

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...